The global sales force of independent direct sellers reached an all-time high in 2014. Nearly 100 million direct sellers! Sales force figures were up 3.4% vs. 2013 to 99.7 million direct sellers.
These are a vibrant and diverse group:
• Some are entrepreneurs, independent small business owners building their own businesses.
• Some work at direct selling part-time to earn extra income for themselves and their families.
• Through Direct Selling, they learn new skills, make new friends and contacts, and gain greater self-esteem.
• And they have the opportunity to give back to the community through the many social responsibility initiatives their Direct Selling companies are involved in.
• Of this diverse group, many were customers of the products or services before they became company representatives.
• As Direct Sellers, most enjoy significant discounts and, in fact, some choose only to enjoy and use the discounted products … and decide not to sell, at all.
Retail sales hit record highs, too.
Retail sales rose 6.4% to US$182.8 billion in 2014. So the steady growth curve in Direct Selling continues, now with a 3-year compound annual growth rate of 6.5% for the period from 2011-2014. The Top 5 Direct Selling markets in the world are:
#1 United States 19% of global sales
#2 China 17%
#3 Japan 9%
#4 Korea 9%
#5 Brazil 7%
• These Top 5 markets account for just over 60% of global sales (61%).
• The Top 10 account for just over 75% (78%).
• And the Top 23 – all countries with over US$ 1 billion in retail sales – account for 93% of global retail sales.
About Direct Selling Industry Research
Direct Selling industry business results are compiled from an annual survey of companies in all member countries of the WFDSA, and from research-based estimates for all other countries. The Global Research Sub-committee would like to thank all those who participated and helped with this effort.
For complete WFDSA Sales & Seller and Sales by Product Category Reports, go to: http://www.wfdsa.org/about_wfdsa/?fa=globalStats